Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Purple People Eater? and Pie Gets New Clothes

Missy is about 3 weeks out of front shoes at this point.  She's been doing very well - my trimmer took almost nothing off and left the sole and frog completely alone - that's one thing I like about him.  Her feet are nicely shaped and her hairlines are straight, both of which are very good things.  But, as with many horses who've been in shoes (although Mary reports she's been successfully barefoot in the past, which is also a good thing), her heels and frogs are undeveloped - she has very narrow frogs, and weak heels.  She has fairly good depth of lateral sulci (the grooves to the sides of the frog), but they're narrow and hard to clean.  She also has central sulcus cracks on both fronts running back into the heel.  And she seems to have a bit of thrush developing in one front.  Her feet are already changing, but it takes many months to grow a new foot and patience is required.

She had one day when she was a little ouchy on her left front - the one with the worst heel crack.  That's gone away.  But she's still a bit uncomfortable at trot in the sand indoor, although she's sound on the concrete barn aisles and in the snow in the pasture.  This isn't unexpected - her front heels and frogs need time to develop, and that little bit of thrush can be painful if her hoof flexes on the softer sand surface.  So, for now, we're only walking - there's lots to do at the walk and we have all the time in the world.  Her standing still for mounting, backing, halt and stretching down are just about perfect, and her moving away from my leg is getting much better, and we've been working on shortening/lengthening at the walk.

This morning, I put a little Thrush Buster in the lateral and central sulci of both fronts - I'm careful with the stuff as it can be irritating.  As usual, I got the stuff everywhere - my hands and a couple of spots on Missy's (white) legs.  She's not a purple people eater, she's just a pinto mare with purple spots!

And today, Pie finally got the new blankets he's been desperately needing.  I got him back in the fall of 2010 when he was 4, and he's grown a lot since then - he's several inches taller and has really filled out.  He's been stuffed like a sausage into his 78" blanket and rain sheet, and not very happy about it for good reason.  So today I bought him a new blanket and sheet in 82", and they fit very nicely.  And his color is blue, and the blankets are navy and navy and grey - much better!  I bought the Dover Northwind  line - the blanket is 1680 denier which is great for group turnout - I've had good luck with these - durable - and they're reasonably priced.

9 comments:

  1. It's crazy what time in shoes can so to a foot...I'm so glad your getting her barefoot again!

    Thrush buster was my go to when needed, as well, there was never a time when I didn't get it all over both us...I think it's impossible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had good luck with the powder "No Thrush" product...and it doesn't make nearly as much of a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Thrush is good, and also if you can get White Lightning, and have soaking boots it's even better. Equal parts of WL and vinegar (about 2 oz. of each in the boot, and hand walk her for about a half hour does wonders for killing thrush. I usually follow up with application of Young Living's Purification oil for a couple of days and the thrush doesn't come back.
    Do we get to see Pie in his new duds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures whenever it's warm enough to take my gloves off . . .

      Delete
  4. Gem has always been barefoot. I honestly can't remember if I read it or someone told me, but I give him an occasional good spritz of salt water after picking his feet to act as a preventative. He's never had thrush....I don't know whether it's because he gets a spritz of salt water every now and then, but I don't want to change the routine just in case... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching hooves change as they come out of shoes. Sometimes they actually get a little bit uglier aesthetically, but they ALWAYS get much more functional. It is an interesting process to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate how messy Thursh Buster is, but man, it sure works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't tried the 1680 denier yet. Up to 1200 and holding...sort of. Well, I keep my needle and thread handy for patch work. Love the ads that say "Ripstop." Yeah, right. *G*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1200 is good enough in most cases - well, not always but I know you know what I mean . . .

      Delete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.