Friday, March 27, 2015

Busy (and Expensive) Week

Lots happening this week.  Monday and Tuesday I coordinated two days of dental visits.  There were 14 horses seen in all, and I was directly responsible for my 4, and 4 others with two owners who couldn't be at the barn.  Then there were the 6 other horses and their 6 owners to keep informed of the schedule and when they had to have their horses available.

Pie, Red and Missy all needed some work, although there was nothing seriously wrong.  Dawn didn't need anything at this point, since she'd had some floating done at the time of her last visit from the dental surgeons - my dentist will recheck her in the fall.

Two tiring but productive days.

Today we had hoof trims, and then Pie and Missy had a visit from our vet/chiropractor, which both of them enjoyed very much.  Much traipsing in and out from turnout and washing of muddy feet - our pastures are an unpleasant mix of frozen, chunky ground and mud.

Oh, and an interesting thing - both my dentist and vet/chiro say that Missy is somewhat older than Mary was told - their best estimate (and aging a horse from teeth is always an estimate) is that she's 16/17 years old rather than the 10 we had thought.  I had estimated 15 when she arrived. As I told Mary, that doesn't matter to me in the slightest, as she's a wonderful mare and I'm delighted to have her.  We've had a few more than 30 rides together at this point, and she and I are really having a good time together.

And next week, we have our first round of spring shots, Missy is getting microchipped, all will have blood drawn for Coggins, and the boys will have things cleaned up.

Now if spring would just spring, that would be great - today the high barely reached 30F and the wind chill was pretty serious.  I see some 50s in the forecast - can't wait for that!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty busy day. Can't believe the weather all you folks back east are getting, it is spring here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have the muddy phase of spring yet but it's coming. I can actually see ground in places! It sounds like a busy and expensive but productive few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like you've had a busy and expensive week. Now you can relax until Spring finally arrives and just ride. I like to get things done early and then be able to enjoy the horses when the good weather finally arrives. Which feels like it will be never considering we're having a small snowstorm right now with cold temps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Temperatures dropping here again too. My Boys will have teeth done soon. So many people neglect the basics. And with horses, all the basics in both care and training are so important.

    Missy still sounds like a lovely lady even if she is older than you thought. That just gives her a better brain and so much more experience to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are looking forward to a serious warm up on Thursday and are supposed to hit 60. I'll believe it when I feel it. Hopefully your pocket book can take a rest for awhile. I had 6 horse of my own for 28 years and know the feeling. Now that I am down to two, it seems like a piece of cake (until something big goes wrong), especially in the daily care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been mostly in the 60's and 70's with a couple of random days in the 40's. It has been so nice. We have both a dental day and a farrier day this week, they definitely make for long days!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.