Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Photos of My Rides at the Clinic

Here are some great photos of Shania and I at the clinic, working together.  In the first one, you may be able to see some of my pre-fix issues at the walk.

Many thanks to Kayla Goelz for the lovely photography, and for lending me her wonderful mare.

I've got the collapsed lower back I talked about in my earlier post - probably driving with my seat, too:


We've lost the connection briefly here - note that Shania is bracing a bit and I'm looking down instead of where we're going:


Note that I don't grip with my legs:


This is pretty nice:





This is what a truly soft horse looks like - my position is pretty good here, too:



She's slightly behind the bit and I could adjust that, but her energy and my position are pretty nice:




Any time we stopped to talk with Mark, Shania would take a nap:


I'm pushing, rather than directing, here (and looking down to boot):


This is pretty darn nice:


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing. I wonder that Mark doesn't have an issue with people using bit clips on their reins, when they can disrupt the connection; the metal-on-metal movement isn't as smooth as a solid connection to the bit. I use clips myself, but have been scolded by the Legerete people about them. Honestly I'd love to have a set of your exact reins (in black) because I like the feel of them, I just haven't been able to find affordable ones where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had an issue with bit clips disrupting the connection - metal sliding on metal vs. leather sliding on metal doesn't make a real difference. Mark also could care less what equipment you use so long as it's humane and doesn't cause the horse discomfort.

      Delete
  2. From the first photo to the last I can see a progression to softness. Great photos! Interesting bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley - that's a Rockin S snaffle. This one has a plain single jointed mouthpiece, and it also comes in a French link and also in what is called a raised snaffle - the raised snaffle is what I use on both Pie and Missy. Due to the way the bit hangs and the separate D to attach the reins, it's a very stable bit and many horses really like it.

      Delete
  3. Great photos of you and Shania. You can see the progression in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful horse. I would have taken her home with me. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried, but they wouldn't give her up - no wonder.

      Delete
  5. Wow, what awesome pics! You;re looking great

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.