Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Four Browns

All four horses are what a non-horse person would call "brown" - well, Miss is brown and white and Dawn has a black mane and tail and black points, but other than that, they're brown.

One of the things I love about spending time around horses - not just my own - is how individual each of them is, including their color and markings.  Every horse is unique - color, appearance, behavior, personality, you name it - each of them is him or herself, only.

My four are all brown, but what a richness and complexity is concealed within that word.

Dawn is a bright red bay - in the winter she gets much darker:


There's a tinge of black in the brown, even in the summer.

Pie is a bright chestnut with yellow highlights:


I see him and Red together frequently, and Pie is lighter in color.

Red is a deep rich brown, well red actually - he looks like burnished metal:


Missy's brown is very dark - like chocolate - a lovely color - darker than even Dawn's winter coat but without the black highlights:


I'm full of wonder at the beauty of each individual horse, every day - do you ever feel the same way?

7 comments:

  1. They all look great Kate! Healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett and I were just talking the other day about how unique all the animals are -- in color and personality. Even the goats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have 4 browns too, one of them has more white than brown. One of them is a copper color, and almost looks metallic in the summer sun. They are all different colors to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes Kate! It's remarkable all the subtle variations in coat colors, personalities, preferences and just everything. I think we're the same way, everyone is a one of a kind! I especially enjoy all the differences in their voices too. Some are low, quiet and deep. While some are much higher in pitch, and some are barely discernible unless you're standing very close. They provide us with endless opportunities for wonder and joy! Thank you for your kind comment on my blog the other day. I appreciate you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one and I care for him as my child :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just realised you're back and I have a lovely lot of posts to read! I'm so happy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.