Saturday, December 12, 2015

More Simple - On Bending

More on the concept of simple (see this post if you don't know what I'm talking about).

One thing I've struggled with in my riding is a tendency to block the horse's motion, either by bracing - with hand, leg or seat - or by focussing on the wrong things.

I find it very helpful to think of bending, not as changing the orientation of the horse's neck or body - thinking this way often leads directly to blocking the motion - but as influencing/directing the horse's leg (or legs).  Bend then results, without blocking or bracing, from the feet upwards, rather than from the body downwards.  The resulting feel is much better - the power comes up from the feet.

1 comment:

  1. This is very much in line with what I've learned from Buck Brannaman this year. Get to the feet and everything seems to fall in place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.